Maintaining a Bedtime Routine
You have so many important things to do each day. You can’t afford to wake up feeling groggy or unrested. Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial to maintaining physical and emotional health. doTERRA has several essential oils that can be used before bed to help you fall asleep faster, sleep peacefully through the night, and wake up more rested.
MAINTAINING A BEDTIME ROUTINE TIPS:
- Put a drop of doTERRA Serenity on your pillow at bedtime.
- Add two to three drops of doTERRA Serenity, Lavender, Bergamot, or other relaxing oils to bath prior to bed to promote relaxation.
- Diffuse doTERRA Serenity or apply a few drops to the bottoms of the feet at bedtime.
- Take one to two doTERRA Serenity® Restful Complex Softgels before going to bed.
- Give yourself a foot massage with Vetiver, Petitgrain, or Lavender to unwind at night.
Why Is It Important to Sleep?
Sleep is one of the three foundations for health, along with nutrition and exercise. Yet a good night’s sleep can be so elusive. In the United States, approximately 30 percent of adults have difficulty falling asleep, and nearly 40 percent report accidentally falling asleep during the day. This sleep deficit is more than just an inconvenience—poor sleep can be linked to negative health consequences. Insufficient sleep can affect your ability to lose or maintain weight, emotions, motivation, and decision-making abilities. Depriving your body of sleep has been linked to many health risks and places a tremendous burden on virtually every organ system in your body.
How Can I Get Good Sleep at Night?
- For people who have a difficult time falling or staying asleep, there are several things you can do to help.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time each day—even on the weekends.
- Make sure that the conditions of your bedroom are conducive to sleep. This includes a cool temperature, comfortable mattress, and eliminating noise and light.
- Avoid screen time before bed. Put your phone, tablet, and laptop away.
- Exercise during the day.
- Practice a bedtime ritual. This ritual or routine should help you to relax, unwind, and prepare for sleep. Consider incorporating reading, journaling, or essential oils into your bedtime ritual.
What Essential Oils are Good for Sleep?
Designed specifically to help support restful sleep, doTERRA Serenity Restful Blend has a calming and relaxing aroma that is perfectly balanced to promote a restful sleeping environment. This blend calms the senses with Lavender, Ho Wood, Cedarwood, Marjoram, Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, Hawaiian Sandalwood, and Vetiver essential oils and Vanilla Absolute. This blend can be diffused or applied topically to promote healthy sleep.
Lavender has been extensively researched for its relaxing properties and its effect on sleep. Lavender essential oil is high in linalool and linalyl acetate, which are known to be relaxing and calming. Inhale or diffuse Lavender prior to bedtime each night to help re-balance your sleep cycle. Another essential oil that is beneficial for encouraging sleep is Petitgrain, which has a deeper and more masculine scent than the more flowery-scented Lavender. Like Lavender, Petitgrain is rich in linalool and linalyl acetate.
doTERRA Serenity Restful Complex Softgels can be taken internally to support restful sleep. This formula combines the well-researched, relaxing benefits of Lavender essential oil, L-Theanine, lemon balm, passionflower, and chamomile to gently promote relaxation and sleep.*
How Do You Use Essential Oils to Help You Sleep?
Essential oils can help people relax and prepare for a restful sleep. Aromatherapy with Lavender, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Petitgrain, and Serenity essential oils can create an environment that encourages restorative sleep. These oils can be used alone or with Serenity Restful Complex Softgels to help you get a good night’s sleep.
Sometimes falling asleep is made difficult because of restless thoughts. When this happens, try using doTERRA Balance, Vetiver, or Cedarwood. These are powerfully grounding aromas, and can help you to unwind before bedtime. If you often wake from stressful dreams, try diffusing these throughout the night to keep your mind at ease.